[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 276
  • Last Modified:

SharePoint 2010 users found in User profile but not in site

I inherited a SharePoint 2010 setup that was in the process of being setup. The location of the SharePoint system out in the cloud required a one-way trust be setup and that was already completed. However the scheduling of the user profile sync from our AD needed to be setup and that went pretty well.. I can search through user profiles for most anyone without an issue in Central Admin.

The problem comes down to when I go to the portal site, and use the people-picker to populate the users into the groups that were setup already. Any one who did not already have access to the portal site already can not be used populate the SharePoint groups. If I go to the index and try to search I get a call back error.

I know I am missing something here.
0
j2luce
Asked:
j2luce
  • 2
1 Solution
 
ivan_vaguninCommented:
Hi!Can you see these users in Users list on root web of your web application (the Users list is hidden and can be viewed using special tools like SharePoint Manager 2010)? If users are not on the list, then you can to try to add them to the list by calling EnsureUser for each user (I can provide a PowerShell script for that).
Note, that the users list has lazy initialization - users get added to this list, when user visits web for the first time.
0
 
j2luceAuthor Commented:
We ended up calling Microsoft tech support after not finding an answer. After working with them for several hours we looking into the authentication first to ensure it was working. We corrected an issue on the AD trust that had cropped up and tensured that users were consistently available through (2) one way trusts as LDAP was having some problems with authentication between the TMG on one end and ASA on the other. Once that was corrected. We still could not enter users into the original SharePoint site. So we created a test site collection and found that we could enter and authenticate user in that site and not the original site. The thought was to create a new site  and move the site collection data over. Since the original site had several collections hooked to it, this was the only part that worried me. But after moving the site collections over, it seemingly worked as nothing was lost. We setup the digital certificate on the new site  after deleting the original site (would not let go of the digital certificate for some reason), and then removed the old alternate site mapping URL and added a new site mapping. I believe it took MS support 3 days to come to this action but it works and things are good.
0
 
j2luceAuthor Commented:
Simply no one answered as it turned out to be an extremely taxing proposition to correct. We ended up calling Microsoft Tech Support as we were behind on the deployment day and after 3 days finally got the issue corrected.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now