I am new to ubuntu and have a basic knowledge of networking. I applied to an entry level job and they have given me the below technical assignment as a part of the hiring process:
Create a DNS server using ISC BIND
Your job is to get BIND running as a caching and forwarding DNS server. You have the following specific constraints:
• It must forward to servers at OpenDNS and/ or Google
• You must show evidence of it resolving a public FQDN (output from DIG is preferred)
• You must provide the content of any configuration files you had to edit or create
• EXTRA CREDIT – host a zone (provide evidence of resolving a record in the zone)
You have completed the assignment if I have copies of DIG output and configuration files before interview.
I am using ubuntu 11.10. I installed Bind 9 successfully and tried editing the configuration files using a step by step process listed on a forum. However i am having problems. Below are my questions:
1. In named.conf.local file, what should i put for zone? I don't have a domain name. Should i register a domain name first and then use it?
2. In named.conf.options file, in the forwarders section, i should put the address of DNS server address for openDNS. Right?
3. In zone definition file, what should i put for DNS Server name and mail server name.
4. What should i put in the resolv.conf file?
5. Finally if bind works successfully, how to verify it using dig? Does dig mention that it is using BIND as the DNS service?
6. finally how to host a zone and provide evidence of resolving a record in the zone?
I will appreciate any help or suggestion or even a different way of doing this.