Determine What Kind Of Phone Cable I Need?

We have a northern telecom meridian m8x24-ds and are moving it to a new office.  What kind of cable needs to be run in the walls between the phones and the interface?
Who is Participating?
Aaron TomoskyConnect With a Mentor SD-WAN SimplifiedCommented:
I haven't seen a phone system yet that was unhappy with cat5. I'll assume the ds stands for digital stations which work fine on cat5 as long as you don't have runs over 300ft.
Paul MacDonaldDirector, Information SystemsCommented:
It looks like a digital handset so it only uses one or two pair.  Just about anything you run should be fine, but I'd stick with CAT-5 or better.
gta2011Author Commented:
aarontomosky: I am buying cable system unseen and was told that the wire from the wall to the phone looks like "normal phone cable" but the ones in the wall/connected to the system looking different/bigger.  Thoughts?
Paul MacDonaldDirector, Information SystemsCommented:
Normal phone cable should be fine.  If you were running new cable, I'd go with CAT since you can easily repurpose it for data or VOIP.  It's possible there's phone cable in the walls and CAT-3/4/or 5 being used to patch it to the PBX.
Aaron TomoskySD-WAN SimplifiedCommented:
(Speaking from general experience with DS PBX systems that sound exactly the same as yours)
Run normal ethernet (cat5, cat5e, cat6) as it can be used for networking or the phones. So your phone room will have a patch panel with standard ethernet jacks (rj-45). Use cat5 patch cords (or cat6 if thats what you run in the walls) from the system to the patch panel.
At each desk you use a rj-45 (ethernet) -> rj-11 (phone) cord. All the phones I've purchased came with this exact cable.
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.