STP/PVST+/RSTP+ & MST
Posted on 2011-10-28
Hi Im aware of the following:
STP 802.1d/PVST - Functions a '1 Root Bridge per network':
1. What if there was 2 networks - ?
2. Cannot be configured on Cisco switches (What then) - ?
3. I thought this STP 802.1d was the standard STP - ?
PVST+ - spanning-tree mode pvst:
4. Means each vlan has its own 'root bridge' by adding priorities for each separate vlan which can also achieve some load-balancing:
spanning-tree vlan x port-priority 16 or 32 or 48 etc etc upto 128 or leave as default of 128 - ?
RSTP/Rapid-pvst+/802.1w - spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst:
5. Does this mean automatically each individual vlan will have its own 'root bridge' although No4 has 'priorities' added manually - ?
spanning-tree mode mst
spanning-tree mst configuration
instance 1 vlan 1, 10-20
instance 2 vlan 30, 40-50, 70
6. Vlans that span different regions, so Im assuming this means London, Cardiff, Scotland, or Usa etc ?
7. Can anyone advise on my interpretation as I always get confused with which is which - ?