Virtual PC 2007 broken
Posted on 2011-10-31
VPC 2007 is broken on Win 7 x64 Ultimate. I need to know how to fix it now and prevent this from happening in the future. It's happened several times but I can't put my finger on the cause.
The computer has Intel DP55KG board with i5 processor. It's dual boot between Win 7 x86 and Win 7 x64. The VPC runs correctly (same vmc/vmcx/vhd files) on x86 side but the x64 side is constantly breaking.
1) Double-click a vmcx and there's a brief hourglass but the VHD doesn't start. However, taskmgr shows vpc.exe and a VMWindow.exe running
2) Double-click again on the same vmcx and a new VWWindow appears in taskmgr but the VM doesn't start. Same thing happens if several vmcx's are double-clicked: multiple VMWindow.exe in taskmgr but no visible VM.
3) VPC.EXE can't be closed by taskmgr End Process
4) VPC.EXE can't be closed with "taskkill.exe /f /im vpc.exe" from a command prompt. It says the process was terminated but it still runs
5) When VPC is in this state, Windows won't shut down (I've waited for more than one hour).
6) When Windows won't shutdown, I cycle the power. The computer boots but there's a 50% probability that the system disk RAID1 needs to be rebuilt, which takes a couple of hours. But that only makes the computer run normally; VPC is still broken
I've tried all the usual (uninstall/reinstall XP Mode, remove/add Virtual PC, etc.) but the only fix that works is to restore the system disk from an old backup when VPC was working.
As I said, VPC works well if I boot to Win 7 x86 but I need the extra memory from x64.
If there isn't a known answer, I'll pay an expert to connect to this computer and show me what to do.