We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

user keeps getting winmail.dat when they should get pdf's and xls files

hi, i have a user that keeps getting winmail.dat instead of PDF's and xls files on there incoming emails.
we have disabled the routers spam filter and his AVG spam filter on the workstation.
He has recently had a new laptop. So it's not the machine. No one else in the business gets the issue. So we assume its his profile. or outlook.

Where can i look to sort this out.

cheers
Comment
Watch Question

Commented:
The affected user is using Outlook client or other client ?
If the one sending the email is using a MAC client  then this is a known issue resolved with RU4 for exchange 2007 sp3
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26692

Author

Commented:
its an outook client on windows 7
we have exchange 2007 08.03.0083
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2007

Commented:
I would check the mime settings, as well as anything related to message conversion.

Also Check the AD settings for this person, as well as outlook local settings ( see if you can reset them to default perhaps )

I hope this helps !


CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2007

Commented:

Author

Commented:
hi, there seems to be an issue with the users exchange account, it happens on another pc with the same user.

sorry for the delay, been off ill

Author

Commented:
I have now had an update from staff memebers. Where a few are getting the windat issue.
This could be an exchange issue.
what should i look at ?

Author

Commented:
hi, I have removed the AD account and mailbox for this user and remade him.
the use was called rich, I've now renamed the user to ra. And he still has the problem, the only thing that is the same is the email address and the display name.
I'm at a bit of a lose.
when he logs on as the new user name, it sets up a new profile on the pc.
I had created a temp mailbox and gave his user full rights to it. This worked fine.

any ideas

Commented:
Recently I had a Customer with the same issue. Turns out it was caused by Postini in front of Exchange 2010. When bypassed the issue was gone
I'm only guessing but for me the antispam solution was doing additional inspection when it finds an offending word (like "rich" in your case). The email was modified somehow in a way that the client cannot display it.
You can easily test it. If an email that you receive as winmail.dat is sent to another user and he receives it OK. Then ask him to forward that same email to you. Now if you receive the email properly then you need to look what is between your exchange and internet.

Author

Commented:
hi, We have had a play. we have a watchguard firebox 550, we have done a firmware update on it.
What has happened. Is it, isn't happening as much as it did.
It seems to only happen once or twice a week.
the biggest difference we have noticed is the removeal of the old AD account and using a different one.

very random

Author

Commented:
hi, we now have an issue where it's happening to 3 staff so far in the last few days.
The exchange server and watchguard are fully updated.
We can't look at disabling the antispam software as it happens so few times over the last month. The staff would go mad having all the spam come in iver weeks. And we wouldn't know if or when it may have happened any way.

any other ideas
Commented:
I've looked in to this more, it seems to be an issue with the senders end, see link. I've ended up downloading an winmail.dat extraction program as a solution.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/Prevent_Winmail_dat_Attachments_from_Being_Sent_in_Outlook.htm

Author

Commented:
couldn't resolve it any other way

Explore More ContentExplore courses, solutions, and other research materials related to this topic.