I am trying to setup a linked tables to SQL Server 2000 database where the user only has read permission.
I created an SQL user and added them to the db_datareader role, then I created an ODBC connection in my Data Sources. When I go to add the tables in Access through External Data -> ODBC Database, ->"Link to the data source by creating a linked table" the list of tables shows up as dbo.syncobj_0x303031424434
4641 (as an example).
If I change the user's permissions from the db_datareader role to the db_owner role, all the table names display correctly. I ran SQL profiler to see what was being run and I found that master.dbo.sp_tables was being executed so I granted execute permissions to that stored procedure for that user, but that did not solve my problem.