We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Getting strange errors during Send/Receive in Outlook 2010

Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
I have a client who recently started experiencing a strange error in Outlook 2010 during his Send/Receive.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron N7010 running Win7 Home Premium 64.
The email account is POP/SMTP.

The two other workers in his office are not having any issues connecting to the same email server.

The symptom is that the Send/Receive stalls part way through, eventually timing out with Task 'user@domain - Sending' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'

I've run SCANPST on the primary PST file.
I've updated Windows and MS Office products.
I've installed device driver updates.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Watch Question

Is the pst file nearly 2gb in size?  If so, it is probably an older, pre-2007 pst file format.  Create a new one and import the data.

Else, remove all emails from the outbox, send a simple email as a test. Still a problem?


This is a new Outlook 2010 installation.  The user has over 7 GB in the PST file which is why I ran SCANPST and repaired the usual structural errors.

I've informed him that he should archive about 2/3 of his emails which he will do at some point.

I'll try creating a temp, empty PST file and see if we can send/receive.

I tried recreating the PST file but the problem still existed.

Another user in the office was using IMAP to access his email so we switched my client over to IMAP and everything seems to be working again.

I suppose we'll never know where the breakdown was with the POP account but my suspicion is that it was with his account at the email provider.

Thanks anyway.


I fixed the problem by moving away from a POP account and using IMAP instead.  This was a workaround but was acceptable to the client.

Explore More ContentExplore courses, solutions, and other research materials related to this topic.