We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

exchange 2003 new users can't get external emails

icccadmin
icccadmin asked
on
Medium Priority
414 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-30
Hi, I have an exchange 2003 box that seems to working great except for 2 new users that I just added.  These users can send, and receive messages internally.  However, they can't receive emails from external users.  The users show up in the global address book
and I have checked ad to make sure they can receive from all...when you send am email to them from outside our network:

Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable [RCPT_TO]

we are also running websense spam filter...again no other users are having an issue..thanks

Comment
Watch Question

Alan HardistyCo-Owner
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
Does the Websense spam filter need to be told about your new users?  Sounds like it hasn't been updated and thus thinks the recipients don't exist.

Alan

Author

Commented:
I've never had to update the spam filter before...have set up many users under this configuration, and had no problem before...I just checked, and it has no area to my knowledge to do this...thanks for the suggestion

Commented:
Is we sense limited in the amount of users it can handle?
Maybe the limit has been reached
Alan HardistyCo-Owner
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
Is the default email address on the new accounts the correct email address for your domain?

Has the GAL updated properly?

Author

Commented:
part of my issue seems to be the recipient udate service...there is a recipient policy that populates several of our email addresses after a new user is created...seems like these new email addresses are not being added..sometimes I can manually populate the email addresses thru the recipient update service...and I can usually manually update my global address list...right now the email addresses have not been populated...trying to get that working first
Alan HardistyCo-Owner
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
Any errors in the Application Event Log?

Once the RUS is working and the addresses have populated - the problem should go away.
Alan HardistyCo-Owner
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2011

Commented:

Author

Commented:
Did the research on my websense spam filter and does not seem to be the issue...also have done some troubleshooting w/ rus...addresses have been populated...everything is good on internal emails to these two addresses...still not able to receive emails from outside the domain to just these 2  new users...I have rebuilt from scratch, same problem...thanks for all the suggestions
Alan HardistyCo-Owner
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
Is mail delivered directly to your server from the world or is there a 3rd party spam filtering service involved before you get the email to filter?

Author

Commented:
there is a 3rd party spam filter, websense...i checked to see if it has some type of limit..but I believe it's 1000 ip addresses...and the rest of my users are getting email ok...

Commented:
Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable [RCPT_TO]



So is this message coming from your exchange server or your web sense?

Check the ip's in the error
Thanks

Author

Commented:
the error is coming from my main public ip address..my exchange server has a seperate public ip and my spam filter has another public ip, the only machine that doesn't have a public ip is my primary AD box...does this mean that exchange and ad on this machine are not working....i made changes to an acct. on my exchange box in ad..and it immediately showed on the ad on my ad1 and ad2 (spam filter) box

thanks to everyone for suggestions...i'll keep digging

Author

Commented:
ok finally got this resolved...had someone that knows much more about exchange than i do check my exchange box..everything was good...he then ran a dcdiag on my main ad box...had several erros..so he told me to go thru all the fails and fix...

main issue was inbound and outbound replication was disabled...I cleared out the event viewer and ran dcdiag /fix  , and it fixed all my problems ...then updated recipient update services and everything's working again!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...
also ran repadmin to enable replication...

Author

Commented:
Steps again:
dcdiag
repadmin
clear event viewer
run dcdiag /fix
update recipient update services
Alan HardistyCo-Owner
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
Well done - glad it is resolved and thanks for posting how.

Alan

Explore More ContentExplore courses, solutions, and other research materials related to this topic.