We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Cisco Routers and Switches

I purchased a couple of cisco routers and a switch. My laptop doesn't have a COM port so that i can connect to the console port on the cisco devices. Could i use something like a rollover cable or anything to connect or do I have to purchase an adapter like USB to COM. Im look for some type of ethernet cable config that will work other than the USB to COM. But I will do whatever is needed.
Watch Question

Top Expert 2015
Yes, you'll need to get a USB com adapter.

Some can be a little flaky though.

I've had good results with a Keyspan USA-19HS. I got it off ebay for about $15.

Explore More ContentExplore courses, solutions, and other research materials related to this topic.