What rails to mount a SuperMicro 1U in a Dell Rack Chasis?

Hello, I bought some used rack equipment off of ebay, and am trying to put it all together, but I need some guidance figuring out what rack rails to get to mount my servers.

The rack itself is a Dell, and my servers are Supermicros; I'm attaching a couple of pictures, one of the rack itself, one of the rail that came on one of the servers.

What I need to know is:
What do I need to know about this in order to buy rails?
Do rails come with both the part that goes on the server, AND the part that goes inside the rack?
Are rails fairly standard?
Anything else jump out at you that I need to know? LOL.

Thanks for your help!

Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Brian BEE Topic Advisor, Independant Technology ProfessionalCommented:
Racks are normally either square hole or round hole. I see in the picture yours are square.

You can buy rails from the manufacturer, but sometimes that is either expensive or impossible, depending on the age of the equipment.

Anyway, if you don't have the mounting rails for the specific servers already, you can buy a universal rail. This is really just a set of bars you mount in the rack and sit the server on.

Alternative, you can buy a shelf that hangs in the rack. I know APC makes these.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
andyalderSaggar maker's framemakerCommented:
It's a terrible photo of the rail but it appears that it is bolted to the server so I think it's just the inner rail. The outer part is probably still in the rack the server came out of. Assuming you buy rails off SuperMicro for that particular chassis they are most likely to fit so long as they are depth adjuatable. It's almost guarnteed supermicro ones are depth adjustable since their target customer may have any make of rack.

Supermicro 1U rails here (although can only see outer part in the pic) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1611332 . Not necessarily the same supermicro 1U rails you need though.
Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your replies! Very much appreciated!

Yes, the rack holes are square; is that kind of a "key indicator" when buying rails? It looks like there's a piece that snaps into the square hold that gives you something to screw into; are those pieces common and commonly available?

Also yes, that is a terrible picture... we have a rule around here, "never let a perfectly good project go uninterrupted by 10 phone calls"! And yes, that is just the inner rail... would a better picture help any?

By "chassis", I presume you're talking about the server, and not the rack, correct?

So, putting it all together, I want to buy rails for my model supermicro for a rack with square holes, with sufficient depth; is that all I need to know to make a good purchase? :D

Again, thanks for your input, I'll share points appropriately!!!!

Need More Insight Into What’s Killing Your Network

Flow data analysis from SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA), along with Network Performance Monitor (NPM), can give you deeper visibility into your network’s traffic.

andyalderSaggar maker's framemakerCommented:
You need the supermicro chassis part number, then look it up on their site and it will list the rail kit for it unless you also have the outer rail. That's how I got the part number CSE-PT8L but it might be for the wrong one as I just guessed at the server. The piece that snaps into the square hole is called a cage nut, there are only about two screw threads for the nut and a couple of depths for the cage depending in the rack metal thickness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cage_nut
Brian BEE Topic Advisor, Independant Technology ProfessionalCommented:
Worst case, as I said you can just get a universal rail kit for a square hole rack.

These should do the trick, but there are others like it from other manufacturers. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SU032A
Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your help guys!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Server Hardware

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.