Cannot remove Server 2008 R2 domain tree root

Hi

I created a domain tree root for testing purposes using dcpromo.  The test was complete, so I ran dcpromo to remove said root.  However, it did not complete entirely and I am left with the root domain in Domains and trusts and the domain controller in Sites and Services.

I have tried manually removing the objects using guides for removing child domains through the metadata cleanup and ntdsutil.  However they all fail.

Could someone please help me.

Thanks in advance
LVL 1
XpertaAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Mike KlineCommented:
Do you have other domains in that forest?

Thanks

Mike
0
XpertaAuthor Commented:
I have a forest called Platformcentre, which has a domain root platformcentre (I think).  I then wanted to create a child domain called Xperta and saw an option for creating it as a tree root.  

So I would say that the answer is yes, I think.

I'm thinking I've screwed up the forest - right?
0
Mike KlineCommented:
Might not have screwed up the forest but you can only have one forest root and that can't be changed, more on that here

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Development/MS-SQL-Server/SQL_Server_2008/Q_27105718.html

You want to pick "create a new domain in an existing forest" in that situation.

Thanks

Mike
0
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

XpertaAuthor Commented:
I created using that option - create new domain in an existing forest.  Then rather than select it as a child domain, I picked to create it as a new root.  

I then tried to remove the domain using dcpromo on the domain controller, picking that it was the last domain controller.  It completed with errors and I can't remove the rest of the root, so that all I'm left with is the original domain in the forest.
0
XpertaAuthor Commented:
Just so there is no confusion.  I had a forest, with one domain inside.
I created a new child domain in the forest, but pick to assign it as a root instead.  
This left me with 2 domains in on forest.
I then attempted to delete the new domain, using dcpromo on the domains one and only dc.  
It completed with failures.
I have since tried to remove the remnants of the new domain using metadata cleanup and ntdsutil, but each time it fails.  I have also tried removing the entry for the deleted domain controller in sites and services.  This also failed with a non descript error.

Any help in fixing this issue would be most appreciated.
0
XpertaAuthor Commented:
Hi

Somehow I managed to fix this, but even now I'm not sure how :)

This is what I did:

After going through different articles of clearing up failed domains, using metadata cleanup or partition management, I decided to check the event log once more, a new event 1481, which indicated an object failed.  So I Googled it and came to this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947020

It went through ways of clearing up data using the ADSIedit console.
I opened it up and the domain I wanted rid of was there, so rather than try and clear the error I took a punt (risky I know) and tried to delete the domain in ADSIedit.  This failed, but I had a brainwave.  We have a secondary DC, running Server 2003.

So I tried deleting the domain in ADSIedit on that server and for what ever reason it worked.

I then went in to Sites and Services on the secondary DC still and I was able to delete the NTDS settings for the redundant DC and then the redundant DC itself.

I then went back to the primary DC and ran a metadata cleanup on the domain I had now managed to start removing and attempted to remove the domain.

IT WORKED \o/

I then ran a dcdiag and I do have two errors, but I was able to run the schema prep tool for Exchnage 2010.

So at the moment, I'm happy.

Thanks for your help Mike.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
XpertaAuthor Commented:
I'm accepting this because it was the way I managed to resolve my issue.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Server 2008

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.