We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Exporting arabic data to Excel from MS Dynamics GP, result in unreadable characters

zeinoun
zeinoun asked
on
I'm using windows 2003 server standard, GP 2010. Trying to export data to excel, which results in unreadable data and characters for the arabic fields.
Comment
Watch Question

Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
since am arabic from jordan , i can help you .. lol ,
ok you need to install arabic in windows server , go to control panel -> regional and languages -> languages tab -> tick "install files for complex script and right to left langauges" -> insert windows 2003 server CD , apply , before you restart go to -> advanced -> from language for non-unicode select "Arabic (any country jordan ,KSA ..whatever) -> then reboot.
you can read arabic characters in server , do the same for your PC.
it will be fine , you can read arabic in both side ..
good luck
Most Valuable Expert 2011
Awarded 2010

Commented:
I've requested that this question be closed as follows:

Accepted answer: 500 points for jordannet's comment http:/Q_27482221.html#37249970

for the following reason:

This question has been classified as abandoned and is closed as part of the Cleanup Program. See the recommendation for more details.
Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
teylyn:
its the solution for making arabic characters or any characters readable , as i said am arabic and i know how to make other language readable , also as i mentioned we have to set default encoding arabic to allow characters display in correct order

Author

Commented:
I already did the above. But that didn't work.
I hope we can open this case again, because i didn't find any solution over the net about this issue.

Please note i can write and read arabic normally on the server, but when i export data through MS Dynamics GP, the result of the exported arabic data is unreadable.
Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
ok , zeinoun did you set default encoding to arabic???
if this was not work let me know , i will do my bests to help you

Author

Commented:
Yes sure i did that.
Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
can you give me screenshot of the output? i will try to figure it out

Author

Commented:
attached screenshot
arabic-problem.jpg
Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
ok , you said that you have installed arabic keyboard and set default encoding to arabic , now we need to do some test :

1- open excel sheet and switch to arabic keyboard then try to write any arabic characters also do this with word and post screenshot here to test the arabic character set working fine or not , if its in correct format this mean that you have problem with encoding in the code itself

DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
use UTF8 as default encoding for output it will work fine  ..
Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
also extra steps needed go to excel -> options -> advanced -> click on web options -> go to encoding and select arabic .. re open excel again , it will work fine
Maen Abu-TabanjehNetwork Administrator, Network Consultant
Top Expert 2011

Commented:
also beside the encoding tab there is tab called font .. choose arabic for character set
Commented:
The Solution for exporting arabic data through smartlist to excel is the following:
1- Regional Settings should be in arabic
2- In Advanced tab, language for non-unicode should be arabic.
3- In ODBC setting for the GP Dynamics, uncheck "Perform translation for character data".

Please note that these setting are from a Microsoft specialist.

Thank you all for the help.

Author

Commented:
Had to call Microsoft for this issue. This solution is from Microsoft.