sbs 2008 - dcom 10009 flood

Like a million others out there, I've got sbs08 boxes getting flooded with DCOM 10009 errors in the system log.

Is there any way of either fixing the issues, or simply limiting the flood of the events.

The error: DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <workstation> using any of the configured protocols.

I'm seeing it for many different workstations.  Some have accounts in AD.  I've set the windows firewall via GPO to allow remote admin and f/p sharing per the countless "fixes" out there.

Still seeing a flood of these.
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

snowdog_2112Author Commented:
Yes, I had seen that one several times on several different occasions when I've tried to find a solution.  That is one of the "countless fixes" I mentioned.

I think I have it figured out, in my environment at least.

I started cross-referencing the <workstation name> in the event log against DHCP, DNS, and the AD computer accounts.

I have discovered that all of the offenders are either old computer names that no longer exist, or IP addresses that were once PC's that are now assigned to non-Windows devices (printers, NAS boxes, etc.)

I've been able to account for every computer name as either no longer in service, or on an incorrect IP.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there.  Thanks!

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
snowdog_2112Author Commented:
Check the obvious first - compare the computer names to actual live and valid devices on your network!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.