We have Outlook 2007 on domain workstations, with Exchange 2010. Exchange Service Pack 1 is not installed. The server is Windows 2008 R2 Standard, 64-bit. This is a virtual machine running under VMWare vSphere 4.1 Essentials
Out of about 80 people in two offices, about 10-15 now have Outlook repeatedly prompting for their Exchange password. Entering the correct credentials allows mail to flow for a short period, and then they are prompted again within a few minutes. Error message 0x8004010f, sending email passed but receiving email failed with this error. Until two days ago, the prompt only appeared if the user’s domain password had been changed, or expired. Clicking ‘Remember my password’ in the dialog has no effect. This issue arose in response to actions taken under emergency downtime conditions two days ago.
Exchange halted processing email due to the drive containing the mailbox database running low on space. In an effort to get it running short-term, this folder was moved to the G-drive:
Mail processing resumed, but smartphone mail access and webmail were broken.
After hours, we extended the size of the offending drive, and copied the folder that had been moved back to the original location. There were ‘file in use’ errors during copy. We stopped all Exchange services and retried with the same result, though it appeared all files were present based on a folder comparison. We then restarted the server, tested Outlook from a workstation without issues, tested smartphone and webmail successfully. The following morning, we found a sub-set of users with the issue described above.
I found an article describing steps to take resolve this issue:
I tried the steps to enable kernel-mode authentication, which did not resolve it.
Creating a new email profile for a user did not resolve.
Adding an A-record in DNS autodiscover.icgtax.com did not resolve.
Downloading a new OAB did not resolve.