Convert MBR to GPT Server 2008 using Acronis

Hi Experts

Like a plank I installed a new SBS2008 R2 installation, configured 11 clients and did loads of stuff on the server not realising the Server Box had been setup using MBR.

This gave the problem that on a 4 x 2Tb HD's in RAID 0+1, I could only create 2 partitions inside the 2Tb limit.  The remaining 1.67Tb couldn't be touched.

So I'm currently using Acronis TI 11's boot disk tools to convert a single 1Tb (430Gb used) partition from MBR to GPT.

Question is, I thought this process would be quick, after an hour it's still stuck in the 'Running' stage with no errors or freezes etc - is this normal?  How long should I expect it to take, although I don't want to stop it as clients redirected folders are on there!

Any advice would be very much appreciated - this server needs putting back in place tonight ready for return to work tomorrow!
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

AFAIK, GPT boot disks are only supported on x64 systems provided with UEFI. I suspect your system does not meet this criteria. If it does not meet this criteria I think ATI is not aware of it. I would stop ATI using the most graceful method. If you wish to make a 2nd attempt I'd use the built-in conversion.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
pcpoorlyltdAuthor Commented:
Yeah thanks for that.  I waited until the operation finished then used TI Disk Director to change it back first to a logical drive, then to a primary, which I then made primary.  Upon boot I got winload.exe corrupt so simply followed some advice via google - booted to cmd prompt - wrote 3 lines to the bcd and I was back in action. - Shame it took 12 hours! - but hey at least I've learned a lesson with no data loss

Next week I'll be Acronising the entire image and rechanging the RAID then putting the image back on.  Should have done that in the first place really
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Server 2008

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.