I will need to explain this in detail since it is really a test for me to learn. I am not sure what results I want, but I was told to set up and learn "SQL mirroring for SQL 2008 r2 enterprise. My boss has a large project in mind but it not current on SQL mirroring and wants me to get some exposure to it before we begin. What I have done so far is;
1. create 2 SQL servers and set up mirroring using "high saftey without automotic failover"
2. I did not configure a witness server, I am still looking into the benefits of that and exactly what SQL features needed to be added to a third server for that.
3. added a test database that had old data in it, but I know is a functional SQL database that was once used.
4. Mirroring seems to be working, I added the data base to both the principle and mirror servers and starting mirroring. I modified a table on the principle and it changed over on the mirror server also, but I was not able to verify until I stopped mirroring or clicked "Failover" to reverse server roles.
My first question is;
1. is there a want to check to see if the mirror database is really updating without stopping mirroring or doing a failover?
2. The second question is more complicated. My boss asked me to "try setting up a few SQL nodes and see how we can get each node to be primary for a DB and also failover for others that are primary and other nodes"
after a little research, it appears I need to create a cluster, by first going to server manager and adding the cluster feature. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know if mirroring can be done over a WAN, say a 100MB connection between 2 datacenters?
All info about mirroring is appreciated..thanks