"An unexpected error has occurred" -- SharePoint 2010

caimis
caimis used Ask the Experts™
on
Again, I've come across this annoying error (that gives you no clue to what's wrong). This time it occurs when I'm trying to access "Site Permissions" on a particular site in my site collection. Not all sites, just this one. I've searched all over for answers but have not found any solutions. I've also tried to access the role.aspx page directly and receive the same error. Oh, the error is "An unexpected error has occurred" if you did not see in the title. I did move this sub-site from one site to another (not site collection). All are under the same collection. I have moved many sites around as we have been restructuring our SharePoint site. May have issues with other sites but this is the one I've noticed and need to fix to adjust the permissions. A user needs access and I can't give it to them.

I appreciated all ideas and feedback.

Thanks.
Sean
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Paste your ULS Log

Author

Commented:
I'm not going to paste my entire log for all to see. Here is the error message from the log that correlates with the error I get on the screen. Let me know if you need more info. If you need to see more of the log, then give me an email address and I will email it to you.

Thanks.
Sean

SPError.docx
Justin SmithSr. System Engineer
Top Expert 2012

Commented:
Does this site have unique permissions?  Might need to use PowerShell to set it to "inherit" from the top level site.  If this is an option, I'll reply with the commands.
Fundamentals of JavaScript

Learn the fundamentals of the popular programming language JavaScript so that you can explore the realm of web development.

Author

Commented:
Yes, it has unique permissions. So, resetting them to inherit is not optimal but I will give it a try to get by this issue. I have the old server that shows the permissions that I can mimic. What is the powershell command(s) to attempt this?

Thanks.
Sean
Sr. System Engineer
Top Expert 2012
Commented:
$web=get-spweb http://urlofthesubsite
$web.ResetRoleInheritance()
$web.update()

See if that gains you access to the permissions page.  If so, you can then break inheratence and reset the permissions.
Commented:
This worked, as a work around. Not the optimal way to fix but I guess it gets the job done. It would be nice to not have to do this if I run across it some more.

Thanks for your help ACH1LLES.

Sean

Author

Commented:
Got the job done, but more of a work around than a fix.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial