This is for a customer. I fix PCs and (occasionally) Macs for a living. However I am hardly a MAC expert and certainly not an Entourage expert. I HAVE set up MAC mail on new MACs a few times but am not a MAC mail expert either. Hence you need in your replies below to spell things out; do not assume you can be brief.
How do I migrate both emails and address book (including email lists) from Entourage 2008 to MAC mail on iMAC (intel cpu) OS X 10.6.8. There are no calendars, reminders, tasks or so on to migrate. In fact there are ALSO no personal subfolders created to organize received email. Sound so simple but when you read what is below, there are potential problems.
There are EIGHT numbered questions below (1), (2), thru (8). Please reply to every one OR as many as you are able to and have time to.
(1) Reason for migration is this error in Entourage when you start it
"The Database Daemon has encountered an unknown error. The daemon will need to quit, and Entourage may need to be force quit."
DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO FIX THAT. Please stick to the migration questions here ONLY.
Question: That error can be caused by corrupt Entourage DB and also by other unrelated problems. If the DB is corrupt will the resulting MAC Mail DB ALSO be corrupt after the Import (see (2) below). My thinking is the MAC mail DB is NOT initially corrupt so importing emails will not make it corrupt. But I am not sure about that. What do you think?
IMPORTANT: The above error does NOT mean I can do nothing with Entourage. By starting Entourage with the Shift key held down, it starts OK with no error because the Shift key prevents the initial Send/Receive which leads to the Daemon error. i.e I can do Exports and other things you might suggest below.
(2) Please confirm that the following will work to migrate the emails
"Go to Mail's File menu -> Import Mail Boxes, and it will let you select Entourage to import from.
(3) I have heard something about the way to move the email addresses over is to do Export (???) in Entourage to Desktop resulting in Vcard files. Then use the MAC Address Book app to move along to Mac Mail (from memory, not exact)
Unfortunately I have never heard of the MAC Address book app and am not sure what Vcard files are either. And do not care to learn either.
Please provide a step by step description of how to migrate the Entourage address book to the MAC mail address book (including email lists). Step by step MEANS click this, then click the third line item there, etc. Got the idea, like those yellow cover Dummy guides sold at Barnes and Noble. Every single step is listed. Or a link to same.
Now since I have been fixing PCs and few MACs for 7 years, obviously you do not need to spell EVERYTHING out but again do not assume I know about ANY MAC apps except Entourage (user level only) and MAC mail (user level and a bit more) but not Address Book application or Vcards. (And BTW there is another way to do this, something about Syncing services ??)
Please choose the simplest way to do this and describe in detail.
(4) I am not done with (3) yet. The way to do this on virtually EVERY PC email client is
File>Export>Address book (or contacts) >CSV (comma separated values meaning an Excel spreadsheet) and THEN in the new email client File>Import>Address book>CSV> browse to Excel CSV file.
Why can't I do that on the MAC? I mean that is so simple but also on the PC it virtually universally works.
If you want to JUST answer "it does not work on the MAC" that is fine but I do want to bring it up.
(5) There is an Apple forum thread about how to migrate that I read somewhere. The original questioner said somewhere that they had heard that if the Entourage DB was over 2 GB or 4 GB (not sure) then Export in Entourage does not work. Now the procedure in (2) above is just Import but come on that is ACTUALLY a "wizard" meaning in the background it is doing a Export (from Entourage) and then an Import into MAC Mail
And the poster then continued that instead that you had to export individual folders like the Inbox and then the Sent folder and then import them one at a time into MAC mail.
Then in that same persons next post in the thread, they said they got it to work but did not say how.
Let me cut to the chase. The Entourage DB is 5.65 GB so OBVIOUSLY I am a bit concerned here about the above. (My customer never deleted anything and many emails have attachments). IS THERE A DB SIZE LIMIT ON MY PROCEDURE IN (2) ABOVE and if so THEN how to I migrate the emails.
To be absolutely clear I an talking about the size of the
Home (or username)>Documents>Microsoft User Data>Office 2008 Identities >Identity>Database file.
THAT is what I mean by the Entourage DB file.
(6) The MAC mail I am migrating to is ALREADY SET UP in the following way. It has emails there thru mid-2008 for an email address that the customer no longer uses. I do not know if there is an email account set up for that old emails address (I forgot to check). A friend of the customer moved the emails over from an older MAC somehow ??
My plan for that is this. I do NOT want TWO identities. I want one identity with the old 2008 emails mixed in with all the new Imported emails in ONE inbox and one Sent box and so on. I will delete the old email account if one exists and create a new one for the current email address. I will simply MANUALLY type in all the same value as for the account in Entourage. As for the password the customer will GUESS it and if wrong, I can call Verizon and have them reset it and give me the new one.
PLEASE APPROVE MY PLAN HERE or DENY IT or suggest something else. If there is way to copy or export/import the Entourage email account, and it is simple and you have ALL the steps, then please describe BUT it is not essential to do that as I have another way.
(7) Some smart person here may notice that if I am not careful I will end up with dupes of every Inbox email because all the Inbox emails are STILL on the server (as well as many in the Deleted items and Spam folder). My solution for that is to Import the emails and address book and check they are all there AND then go to Verizon webmail and delete EVERY SINGLE EMAIL (except those few not yet in Entourage).
(8) STILL NOT DONE. There is ANOTHER complication. PLEASE REPLY TO THIS QUESTION (8).
At Home (or username)>Documents>Microsoft User Data>Office 2008 Identities
there is NOT ONE identity; there are THREE identities. There is Main Identity and two others. Let us for simplicity call the two others Identity 1 and Identity 2. And by Get Info on the DB files I find that Identity 2 (NOT Main Identity) is the "live" one based on the modified/access date and the DB file size. i.e the other two DB files have not been accessed in YEARS and are much smaller in size.
My concern is that the Import procedure in (2) above will ONLY IMPORT THE DB for the Main Identity !!! Which is NOT what I want !!!
The only other thing I know about this is that I start Entourage and I do NOTHING with Identities, I do not select an Identity, I do NOT switch identities and all the right emails in Inbox and Sent and so on are there.
Also whatever emails are in the other two identities (Main Identity and Identity 1) are NOT to be moved to MAC mail. ie the goal is NOT to merge the emails from the three Identities in Entourage, it is to JUST move the emails from Identity 2 as described here.
HOW DO I DO IT? Just do (2) above and the MAC mail Import Wizard will figure it all out; it will ACTUALLY check the mod dates on the three DBs and only import emails from the latest one ??? Or it will merge emails from three Identities (not desired) or only import emails from the Main Identity (again not what I want).
Please reply on Question 8 here. as well as (1) thru (7) above as you are able and have time.