I’d need to reorganize a server share \\server\share (it has got subfolders marketing, sales etc) without impacting user access as much as possible.
Moreover security is messed up: subfolders have rights inherited which aren’t even on toplevel defined + block inheritance is activated. I cannot check every subfolder/file and a reset of rights did not work.
Therefore I wanted to create a subfolder
\\server\share\NEW under which I create the new folder structure (1.marketing, 2.sales etc).
Now I would like your feedback on how I see it to proceed:
1. On folder NEW, I will set “block inheritance & set all the credentials correct
2. Then I will move folder per folder, remove all rights from source folder which I will move so they cannot access anymore
3. When in target folder (under NEW-folder) rights I have to check so they can access again (will it inherit the rights?)
4. Point 3 => I’m not sure if rights will remain if I move the folders, they should inherit the rights I have set (or should I apply them manually again)?
5. When all folders are moved to NEW, I will move again to \\server\share\ and delete the NEW-folder, rights should remain(?!)