We have a small network with two subnets, 100.x and 200.x. We have a server on the 200.x subnet that we can only remotely connect to using the IP address instead of the host name.
Yesterday, I was connected using the host name. About half way through the day, I tried to reconnect and couldn't. When I tried to ping using the IP address it pings fine. When I tried to ping using the host name I got destination unreachable.
When I looked at the DNS table on the 200.x, I saw the entry. When I looked at the DNS table (I am on the 100.x subnet) on the 100.x table, I didn't see a record. Counldn't figure out what happened to the host record, so I tried to re-add the record.
I then got an error that said the record already existed. So I rebooted the DC (DNS server) and when I went back in, the record was now visible. So I assumed it would now work, however it still couldn't resolve the name. I tried to force replication with the DNS server that was working and still no luck
So I am not sure why the record disappear or why once it reappeared it still wouldn't work. Everything on the 200.x subnet works fine.