Best software/hardware inventory solution?
Posted on 2012-03-09
We are looking for a solution to automate the tedious task of maintaining an accurate hardware & software inventory of our 250 pc's on our network, and 75 pc's in the field.
We are considering LANSWEEPER since there's a free version, and pretty cheap upgrade options. However, that only deals with devices on our LAN. If we went with that solution, we would still have to maintain our manual inventory in EXCEL - YUCK!!!
1. Agent-less (it can scan all the devices on the network without having to first install client software on each pc). I believe it leverages our domain administrator account which is already setup in the local administrator's group on each pc.
2. Active directory Integration.
3. Compile an inventory of what's on the network.
4. Can collect lots of information about the pc: (free disk space, full list of add/remove programs, event log errors, and lots more).
5. Compliance reporting: Allows us, for example, to enter how many Office licenses we own, and calculates if we are over or under.
6 . Free (or really cheap) (under $1,000 per year).
7. AND THIS IS WHAT LANSWEEPER DOESN'T DO: Inventory our LAPTOPS in the field which presently do NOT log into our active directory. (For the laptops, we'd be ok with needing to install client software, and have it 'phone-home' once a week or once a month to add the laptop details to our master inventory.
Does such a thing exist?
Thanks for any suggestions,