Looking for advice on network upgrade. We currently have:
Server 1 SBS 2003 Premium Edition Domain, Active directory, Exchange
Server 2 Windows Server 2003 R2 SE SQL 2005
Server 3 Windows Server 2003 R2 SE User Shared file storage , ARCserver v.11
Server 4 Windows Server 2003 R2 SE Citrix Metaframe
Server 5 Windows Server 2003 R2 SE Terminal server for Windows mobile 5 RDP connections
What would you suggest in terms of server structure factoring cost and system redundancy. I was thinking of the following:
- Server 1 SBS 2011 64 bit Premium Edition to run DC, AD, Print server, Exchange. Premium edition because it would give back up if server 2 goes down so I restore our main application on to this server as it will have SQL 2008.
- Server 2 SBS 2011 64 bit Premium Edition to run main application that requires SQL 2008. This would also be a backup DC, AD, Print server, Exchange.
- Server 3 Windows server 2008 64 bit with XenApp 5 for remote office users and for windows mobile 5 devices.
- Upgrade desktops and laptops to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. (currently XP pro, 32 bit)
1) Can I have 2 servers running SBS 2011 on the network?
2) Is it possible to configure Server 2 to be a backup DC, AD and Exchange should server 1 fails for hardware or software reasons?
3) I know that SBS 2011 has built in email archive function? Is it good or should I be looking at third party options?
4) In terms of back up, what are the best options available at the moment on the market?
5) Which server would be the best for user shared file storage or should I consider buying separate server for this?
6) Rather than going for XenApp 5, maybe windows desktop virtualisation is better option?
7) Could XP (32 bit) computers be joined to the 64 bit domain? If so, would there be any performance issues?
Thanks very much.