We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Microsoft Exchange Migration issue

Jeff Romlein
Jeff Romlein asked
on
We recently completed an exchange Migration/merger. Some users are now getting 550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound errors. They do not get these when using OWA. We have tried deleting their NK2 files but this did not work. If they get an error for a person, have that person send them an email and then they reply the issue goes away for that email address.

Let me know if you need more information.

Any ideas?

Additional background.

We have 2 AD forests with a 2 way trust.

Forest 1 - Coakley
Forest 2 - Records

The Coakley forest contains users and the old exchange 2003 server

The Records forest contains users and the exchange 2010 server. The records users have been using this server for several months. The Coakley forest users mailboxes have just been migrated.

The Coakley forest users mailboxes are linked mailboxes, the records forest users mailboxes are normal User Mailboxes.
Comment
Watch Question

Commented:
When you send from outlook is the user typing in the To: field and then its auto-completing the address?

What happens if you select the user from the GAL in outlook only (not typing in name) and then sending to that person?

It could be that there is an issue with the cached addresses in outlook itself and you just need to clear that out.  Let me know if the above GAL test works.

Author

Commented:
Gleek, thanks for the response.  I had a coakley user send me an email by using the auto fill, gal and by typing out my address and all 3 emails bounced back.  However, if i were to email him and he replies, the email goes through.  The interesting part is that this user could send to 3 others in the "records" environment just fine using any of those 3 methods.  

Any other ideas?
How long ago was the migration?

are your users running in cached mode?

have you tried deleting the local offline address book file and restart outlook to recreate the file fresh from the server, and retried sending the message?

Author

Commented:
QuatrroCS, we did the migration on the 3/12/2012.  yes they are running in cached mode.  We had to go to the pc's and recreated the pst files in order for outlook to point to the new server.  if we tried to change the server settings with the original  outlook profile, outlook would say connected but not send or receive mail.  I don't know if re-creating the pst file creates a new local offline address book but if it did, then yes i guess we tried your 3rd suggestion.
check the date of the oab files. in windows 7 the path is below

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

we had some issues in the past with the oab that's why i suggested it.

you could also just try it on your own and see if they get recreate. just close outlook, delete all files ending in oab, and reopen outlook.

Author

Commented:
We will try the OAB files tomorrow morning and update afterwards.

Thanks.

Author

Commented:
The offline address book along with NK2 files was the cause of the issues. Thanks for the help.

Explore More ContentExplore courses, solutions, and other research materials related to this topic.