Solved

Outlook crisis post update/reboot

Posted on 2012-03-14
3
274 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
Hello Experts,

I am in a crisis.  Last night I performed regular updates on my Exchange server (2010) and was forced to reboot.

I also rebooted the BESX server , which happens to be one of two DCs and one of 3 DNS servers.

The DC's are server 2008 and the third DNS is Server 2003.  The2k3 box is the OLD DC but is still not totally ready for removal as all services are not fully migrated.

After reboot, I tested mail flow and confirmed it was working.  I also tested the admin account using Outlook.

Now all 40 plus users are having issues connecting to Exchange.  All Outlook clients get the same error:  0x8004011d .  

In order to get them back up, I had to recreate all Outlook profiles and NOT attach the profile to any other mailboxes but the user's own.  (there is ALOT of mailbox sharing as some users are assistants to other users)

No mailbox can connect to another mailbox even though the permissions are set in sharing in Outlook.

PFDAVAdmin does not work and I am pretty weak in Powershell.

I have checked DNS by pinging the mail server by name from random machines and all machines can find the mail server.

OWA works as does Active Sync and I believe all users in BESX.

I am very baffled and need much guidance.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.
0
Comment
Question by:mediatechnica
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 82

Expert Comment

by:David Johnson, CD, MVP
ID: 37723867
Try restarting your exchange services as shown in this post http://forums.msexchange.org/m_30795900/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#1800536445
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
mediatechnica earned 0 total points
ID: 37724463
I believe the issue has been resolved.

Oddly, the Exchange server was ping-able by name, but nslookup could not resolve.

Checking DNS on all DNS servers, there was NO record of the Exchange server.  Adding A record to DNS and commands ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns on all machines resolved the Outlook mailbox connection issue.

Now my concern is "why did DNS "lose" the Exchange server?"

Thanks for reading and answering anyways.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:mediatechnica
ID: 37741207
Further troubleshooting with the help of a second IT person led to the missing DNS record discovery.

As stated in previous post, as soon as DNS entries were made for Exchange server and DNS flushed and re-registered, all outlook connectivity issues were cleared up.
0

Featured Post

Online Training Solution

Drastically shorten your training time with WalkMe's advanced online training solution that Guides your trainees to action. Forget about retraining and skyrocket knowledge retention rates.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
Resolving an irritating Remote Desktop connection that stops your saved credentials from being used.
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Suggested Courses

623 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question