MS CRM 4.0 postal code field won't except 0 as first number

I just noticed that CRM removes the first character of a zip code if it is a Zero. This is a problem because there are states such as NJ and RI that have zero as the first number in the sequence.

I was wondering does anyone know how to make CRM leave the first zero there?
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Chinmay PatelChief Technical NinjaCommented:
Hi bigjdve,

How about using a text datatype? I think you tried with a number datatype.

bigjdveAuthor Commented:
I have looked at that since that would be the way to fix it in Excel. However in CRM that field is predetermined and is set as a NVARCHAR.
Chinmay PatelChief Technical NinjaCommented:
Could you take a screen shot of the attribute and post it here?
Active Protection takes the fight to cryptojacking

While there were several headline-grabbing ransomware attacks during in 2017, another big threat started appearing at the same time that didn’t get the same coverage – illicit cryptomining.

bigjdveAuthor Commented:
Here is the screenshot.
Chinmay PatelChief Technical NinjaCommented:
Can you check if someone has inserted custom script on this field?
bigjdveAuthor Commented:
Nobody has made any changes to this particular field.

Any nvarchar field that you create by default will remove any 0 from the beginning.

I am trying to find a way to not have  that happen.
Feridun KadirPrincipal ConsultantCommented:
That is definitely not normal behaviour for Dynamics CRM. Are you saying this happens to any field that you create of type nvarchar?
bigjdveAuthor Commented:
It looks like I found the issue.

The attribute was set to IME_Mode = inactive

I set it to IME_Mode = auto

and now it is working.

I compared against a couple other Nvarchar fields and found the one difference listed above and tried it.

Now it works.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Feridun KadirPrincipal ConsultantCommented:
Amazing, IME stands for input method editor and I thought it was only relevant for languages with complicated character sets. I've never changed the setting from auto but I'm surprised that setting it to inactive has the effect that it does.  One to remember.

Thanks for the points - a fair allocation.
bigjdveAuthor Commented:
Feridun - I am giving you 1/2 the points as your comment got me to look more closely at all of the settings on the field.

Chinmay_patel - I am giving you 1/2 as well.

After seeing comments from both experts, I was able to fix the issue myself.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Dynamics

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.