I have been assigned a task to design network for upcoming network revamp project in a small firm, although networking is not my core area, but I accepted this task as a challege as I have done similar projects in past, here I go:
I'll try to describe current network topology:
1) Admin & Accounts block where server room is located, Cisco 3750G 24 port switch acts as a core switch
2 UTP uplinks directly coming from Admin & Accounts in core switch.
2) Service Reception and Workshop block, one UTP uplink coming from this block directly in Core switch
3) Spare parts, fibre optic connectivity, but fibre optic not directly terminated on switch, using media convertor
4) showroom 1, fibre optic connectivity, but fibre optic not directly terminated on switch, using media convertor
5) showroom 2, fibre optic connectiviy, but fibre optic not directly terminated on switch, using media convertor
there are no other managable switches in whole network except at core swithc, there are combination of different brands of swithces which we wish to replace with Cisco PoE switches once and for all.
Above metioned buiding block are in 5 different VLANs, Cisco 3750G switch does the inter-VLAN routing.
Buy a 12 fibre optic ports 3750G switch at core and stack with existing 3750 G switch
WS-C2960-48PST-L Catalyst 2960 48 10/100 PoE + 2 1000BT +2 SFP LAN Base Image
WS-C2960-24PC-S Catalyst 2960 24 10/100 PoE + 2 T/SFP LAN Lite Image
at Edge and configure the routing, of course, I'll take this forum's help for configurations, 24 port and 48 port switches will be selected based on port requirements.
Is there any cost effective better solution to above plan?
we'll go for IP telephony with this network revamp, will these switches be enough for our IP telephony needs or are there any suggestions?
What is the difference between LAN Base and LAN Lite image? Are we compromising any useful features by buy LAN Lite image?
Should I stick to 3750G stack option or is there any better alternative at core?
If anybody can calculate throughput which clients will be getting at edge with above switches, it'll be great?
As of now, I can think of only these questions, I'll post more questions as and when they arise.
Many thanks for any productive answers in advance.