Corrupt Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Definitions on 1 Server

Posted on 2012-03-15
Last Modified: 2013-12-09

I've got all my desktops/servers protected with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.1 and has been working fine for over 18 months.  Occasionally I'll get one client report a corrupt definition, so I usually just run the intelligent updater on them and it resolves it.

Problem is I now have 1 client (my main file server and DC) where the defs are corrupt and I can't resolve it.  I have tried,


Running the intelligent updater - no effect


Stopping EndPoint - Doing this - - Same problem, after a few mins it reports corrupt defs.


Doing the same as above but running the intelligent updater afterwards - same problem
I'm a little lost now.  No other servers/clients report the same problem and they all use the same definitions.

I get event ID 40 - Symantec Endpoint Protection has determined that the virus definitions are missing on this computer. This computer will remain unprotected from viruses until virus definitions are downloaded to this computer.Application has encountered an error.

and event ID 4 - SRTSP - Error loading virus definitions.

Any suggestions?


Question by:manic_andy
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions

Accepted Solution

Tymetwister earned 500 total points
ID: 37728332
Try uninstall/reinstall of SEP?

Expert Comment

ID: 37729653
From Add/Remove Programs, Uninstall the LiveUpdate component. Then reinstall again. If you have the installation media or an installation package somewhere.
Look for LUSETUP.exe under SEPM folder of the installation media and run it after you uninstall LiveUpdate.

If possible reboot the system before re-installing. Looks corrupted to me.



Expert Comment

ID: 37729758
Not sure if this is 100% similar, though we've had issues with Symantec Endpoint on some of the servers we have deployed across specific sites (they came from a small consultancy which was acquired then merged into the group).

We've had some issues which are not directly related I think to your issue, though seem similar enough for us to follow the Microsoft link and from memory, I checked with the server team before making the post, Symantec tech support suggested a .Net framework update might have had something to do with it, though afterwards we came to the conclusion that it was partially something else which was impacted by an update and then something SEP did....

Took some time before they worked out that one guy at Microsoft said he'd suggest the KB961293 article.

I think this solution was posted in part here before, though there were different scenarios.

Expert Comment

ID: 37739269
There is a utility called Rx4DefsSEP, that can be used to removed corrupted definitions from SEP11 clients. You will have to call and request it from Symantec Technical Support.


I've used it in the past.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 37799358
Nothing I did worked for whatever reason so I'm just going to uninstall it prior to upgrading to the latest version.

Featured Post

Forrester Webinar: xMatters Delivers 261% ROI

Guest speaker Dean Davison, Forrester Principal Consultant, explains how a Fortune 500 communication company using xMatters found these results: Achieved a 261% ROI, Experienced $753,280 in net present value benefits over 3 years and Reduced MTTR by 91% for tier 1 incidents.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

On July 14th 2015, Windows Server 2003 will become End of Support, leaving hundreds of thousands of servers around the world that still run this 12 year old operating system vulnerable and potentially out of compliance in many organisations around t…
This article investigates the question of whether a computer can really be cleaned once it has been infected, and what the best ways of cleaning a computer might be (in this author's opinion).
Established in 1997, Technology Architects has become one of the most reputable technology solutions companies in the country. TA have been providing businesses with cost effective state-of-the-art solutions and unparalleled service that is designed…
Email security requires an ever evolving service that stays up to date with counter-evolving threats. The Email Laundry perform Research and Development to ensure their email security service evolves faster than cyber criminals. We apply our Threat…

728 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question