Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of underIce

asked on

Exchange 2007 ActiveSync errors

Hello, I'm having an issue with connecting to an Exchange server via activesync.

When using I get an error:

Testing of the OPTIONS command failed. For more information, see Additional Details.
Additional Details

ExRCA couldn't find MS-Server-ActiveSync and MS-ASProtocolVersions header. Headers received were: Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, POST

After some searching I find several resolutions but none of them seem to have worked.

-I've removed anonymous access and left only basic authentication in IIS.
-In basic settings on the activesync virtual directory I fixed an issue that was making the test connection fail...

Seems like there's an issue with the activesync virtual directory but I don't know what it is. For example, in Exchange Management Shell I run $Site = [ADSI]"IIS://localhost/W3SVC/1/Root/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync"
 and $site I get no results or errors.
(though I might be using this wrong)

I'm not at all sure what's happening here and I'm not finding anything online that seems to fit the situation I'm in. I'm testing this with the intent of using some smart devices to connect to Exchange

Exchange 2007 on Server 2008 - Single domain/single domain server
Ideas? Thanks!
Avatar of Alan Hardisty
Alan Hardisty
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Do you have a Cisco / Sonicwall firewall by any chance?

If not - what sort do you have?
Avatar of underIce


I have a Watchguard XTM.

It is passing back and forth:
Headers received were: Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, POST
So some traffic is getting through.
Have you got HTTPS Content Inspection enabled on the Watchguard?  If you have - please disable it and test Activesync again.
I don't see any setting exactly named HTTPS Content Inspection , but there's something close. In the HTTPS proxy server there's a Content Inspection page which has a "enable deep inspection of HTTPS content"

That is not enabled. The HTTPS Proxy server itself cannot be diabled or removed.
Okay - might be a problem with the Activesync virtual directory.  Can you please remove it and re-create it:



Then test again please.
Thanks, I'll perform that remoal/add.

The example is writtne like this: Remove-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory -Identity "\Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync"

Nothing I've tried to put in to replace works. How do I find what to fill in there? I'm not finding anything obvious in IIS 7 and I've tried everything that makes sense to me...
Also, when I try and get the properties for the Active Sync virtual directory:


I get an error:

Unable to create IIS directory entry. Error message is: access is denied
The Activesync Virtual Directory usually needs something like "Default Website\Microsoft-Server-Activesync"
I thought of that, but the Active Sync virtual direcory isn't in the default web site. It's in the SBS Web Applications web site.

SBS Web Applications

So I tried Remove-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory -Identity "SBS Web Applications\Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync"

Got the error The operation could not be performed because "SBS Web Applications\Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" could not be found.
hmmm...I see that all the Exchange websites are in the default web site. The Active Sync virtual directory is in the SBS Web Application web site. That isn't right...I don't think.

If that's the issue, can I move the Active Sync virtual directory into the default web site, or should I move the exchange web sites to SBS Web Apllications? By move I guess I mean delete and recreate.

Is it simpler to delete and recreate the AS VD in the default web site? If I delete and recreate the Exchange web sites in the SBS Web Application site, will there be any user issues (OWA etc)?

Any special configuration to do if I move the Exchange web sites to the SBS site?

What's the best course of action here?

These are the contents in each web site:

default web site

SBS Web Applications
Microsoft Server ActiveSync
Unified messaging
Avatar of Alan Hardisty
Alan Hardisty
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Link to home
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
So are you on an SBS 2008 server?
It's working now....I went ahead and deleted it and recreated it in the default web site...there don't seem to be any issues.

I don't mind saying that that link cost me tons of time. The syntax in the link was wrong. You need to add the web site onto the end of it. So it'd go somethig like this: Remove-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory -Identity "\Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync (SBS Web Applications)"

But I worked it out
It probably would have helped to know you were on SBS a lot earlier in the question and even having the question in the SBS zone, would have been useful.

SBS is a totally different beast to Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008 and the IIS directories / websites are very different.
Got me looking in the right places...
If I had known it was relevant I would have, if it's such a different beast that would have been a helpful comment to make up front as well. But as I said, you got me thinking about it in the right way so that was helpful.

Ended up to be a pretty simple fix...
Difficult for me to guess your environment - but as long as you have the problem fixed - that is the important thing.

If you add the SBS zone to any future questions involving this server, it would help others to help you.

Best wishes