I have made other posts on this issue, but so much has changed I am going to rewrite it and try to start over
1. an engineer went to our Exchange 2007 console and intended to right click and disable a mailbox
2. The mailbox vanished when he did this so he assumed had had accidently selected REMOVE.
3. He checked DISCONNECTED MAILBOXES and it did not appear there so we attempted to recover the mailbox from a BACKUP EXEC 2010 backup, but the recovery failed due to "unable to attach to a resource"
4. We tried to rebuild the mailbox but it would not let us. If we went to create a new mailbox and selected EXISTING USER the name of the mailbox we need did not appear. If we try to create the mailbox with the NEW USER option, it gives us an error saying that it already exists.
5. As a test we disabled another mailbox and it also vanished and did not appear immediatly DISCONNECTED MAILBOXES either. The we disabled two other test mailboxes with the same results and nothing appeared in DISCONNECTED MAILBOXES
6. Several hours later the first test mailbox did appear but when I tried to reconnect it, I could not. I selected CONNECT and was going through the wizard, but when selecting MATCHING USER, the next field is empty, even though I verified I am searching the entire forrest, If we select EXISTING USER all our AD accounts with no mailboxes appear, but none of accounts we disabled or removed are there.....I do not see a way to actually reconnect it
7. The next day the one test account that was in DISCONECTED MAILBOXES vanished again but the other two test mailboxes are now displayed, but I can not reconnect them.
I have tried rebooting the server and that did not change anything
I tried "get-mailboxdatabase | clean-mailboxdatabase"
and that has not helped either....I am starting to wonder if this has something to do with AD
we are running Forrest and Domain level 2008r2 but at the time these mailboxes were created, I believe we were on 2003 or lower
All advice welcome...thanks