Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) previous version tab on Windows 2003 server missing / not there.
Posted on 2012-03-19
The old age question of VSS - please hear me out before crucifying me...
I have been running VSS for a long time now, no problems and saved my behind many times!
Well this is a routine check, every so often I see if I can restore something from VSS to make sure all is well. But I am finding something strange though. I have two Windows 2003 STD servers, one domain controller and the other one a Terminal server.
1) Server (Also Fileserver)
2) Terminal Server
I usually log on to my Terminal server to recover a file from VSS on the other "server", by doing the following:
1) On the Terminal server I would \\server to see all the shares
2) I would right-click on the share and click on properties
3) At the top, I would see "Previous Versions" which I would select to go back to previous versions for restore purposes.
The problem is, now there is no "Previous Tab" it is missing, gone and I cant find it. It use to be there before, now it is just gone. I have checked the following:
1) on the "server" the event viewer, there is no error logs of VSS.
2) I have set the size limit of VSS to "Unlimited" it use to be 50gb's for in case it ran out of space (which it should just replacing older copies if i does run out of space)
3) and if all else failed, reboot the "server" (which also did not work)
Please let me know where my "Previous Version" Tab had gone to.