Help! Can't edit certain records; Access 2007 FE, MSSQL 2K8 BE

Hello, I've got a problem that I is somehow related to a table in my database, but I can't figure out quite how or why, or why now, after having worked well for quite a while.

When I try to edit certain records in that table, via the Access FrontEnd, I get a "Write Conflict" error, with the dreaded "Copy to clipboard" or "Drop changes" buttons. Many/most other records can be edited just fine though.

This table is right in the middle of some complex relationships; it represents a "booking" which is right in between customers, trips, and payments, so there is a lot going on... given that, how am I to find what is fighting back?

I did install the full MSSQL 2008 R2 toolset, but it doesn't look like the debugging tools are there.

Ideas, anyone, please?

Thanks in advance!

--Jon
LVL 3
Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

peter57rCommented:
I would say that this message is most common in situations where you are updating the same record from both a form and a recordset at the same time.
Are you sure you are not doing this?
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
mbizupCommented:
In your SQL table, check whether you have Nulls allowed on any boolean fields (allow nulls on these fields should be set to false -- you can default these fields to false).

Then check for Nulls in those boolean fields in existing records  if you have any, run an update query to set them to false.
0
Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAuthor Commented:
It is true that there are both form and recordset operations, but the operations complete, the form has the correct data, and then you try to save the record, but get the error. Anyways, the recordset operations are read only.

Plus, why are only some records affected?

I already have a timestamp column; last night I read about checking for nulls in boolean fields, so I set them to default appropriately, and then I ran a SQL query to set the existing nulls (1000's of them) to their default values.

Most records work just fine, though, and don't exhibit this behavior at all, but the common thread is that the misbehaving records are coming in through the website, which adds some more complication, but I have a theory that the website is encountering errors from this table, which is not allowing updates.

Maybe.

Man, there's got to be a better way to get to the bottom of this, no?
0
The Ultimate Tool Kit for Technolgy Solution Provi

Broken down into practical pointers and step-by-step instructions, the IT Service Excellence Tool Kit delivers expert advice for technology solution providers. Get your free copy for valuable how-to assets including sample agreements, checklists, flowcharts, and more!

Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAuthor Commented:
I wonder where the data edit failure would be logged? in ODBC? or in MSSQL? or.. Event Viewer?
0
Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAuthor Commented:
Ugh! So I made a new form, and guess what? It does not display this problem, but it is also lacking in some functionality.

I really need to get that old form working.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that some records work fine, and some don't, even though I've F8 stepped through every line of code in it to make sure that the same code gets executed every time, and that the underlying record of the form does not get modified via recordset. I even tried turning on various record locking options, to no avail.
0
Jon JaquesInformation TechnologistAuthor Commented:
Well, despite my best efforts to make sure that such was not the case, I ultimately did find where that form was modifying the underlying record! That was the problem, and removing that code and creating a new form to replace the old one was the answer.

Thanks for your help!
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SQL Server

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.