Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 495
  • Last Modified:

MSProject - error opening exported XML file

I exported a large (4,000 tasks) mpp to xml and when I attempt to open it with Project I get the error "An unexpected error occurred... The file may be damaged." I tried exporting it several times but get the same error each time. I don't see anything obvious in the xml, but it is huge and something could be lurking someplace that's not apparent. Does anybody have any ideas?
0
dgmoore1
Asked:
dgmoore1
1 Solution
 
Pierre FrançoisSenior consultantCommented:
We have to discover what is failing: the export or the import part of the process.

There are several open source programs to check if a XML file is valid. If the XML file is found to be invalid, you know there is a bug in the export process.

If you are not afraid of command line interfaces (this has future, also in MS environments), xmllint can be a good tool to validate XML.
0
 
dgmoore1Author Commented:
The problem turns out to be the formatting of the exported xml, which in turn is due to some stray characters in various mpp fields. When I open the xml in Excel it gives me the offset of the offending character, then I open the xml in HxD, go to the offset, and fix the xml. There are numerous errors, which I have to identify and fix one at a time. The file is enormous, so this is going to take a while, but I think it will ultimately work. I can also use the results of this exercise to go back and fix the mpp. Thanks for your comments.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now