We need to put together a plan for a large data storage system that will grow to 10 - 15 TB in 12 months. We could go Windows, but I'm checking with the Mac heads out there, because the environment is all Mac. I'm looking for answers from people who have actually tied Ultrium drives to Mac Pros, and for RAID suggestions.
The server will be accessed by 35 users, but only 4 of these will be heavy users.
We presently have a nearly 3-year-old Xserve and a DroboPro. I'm not going to publicly knock the Drobo but I cannot rely on it for primary data storage.
I'm thinking something like this:
- new Mac Pro, 24 GB RAM
- Mac OS Lion Server on RAID 1, with a third clone updated every few months
- Ultrium tape drive or jukebox
- Primary RAID -- something awesome, connected over a fast interface
- Secondary RAID (duping primary nightly) -- DroboPro attached via FW800
- RAID 1 suggestions? Just use the built-in on the Mac Pro?
- What kind of Primary RAID? Fiber? I've used Rorke Data products in the past and they work great -- any other suggestions?
- What kind of interface for the Ultrium tape drive? Fiber again? I don't want to go to the mat with the interface/tape drive hassles on Lion.
- Anyone ever used an Ultrium jukebox? Any recommendations?
- Could we get away with running a 30 GB Filemaker Pro database on this box at the same time?