How to cover each others mailboxes while on vacation and how to manage departments email
Posted on 2012-03-21
I'd like to know if the following goals are possible if we only have IMAP or PoP3 and no Exchange:
- To have a single centralized repository of firstname.lastname@example.org emails accessible to multiple people
- To support covering of other people’s work when they are out
- To protect the repository by assigning a single administrative user so that the repository can’t be inadvertently wiped out by local user settings
- This was attempted before with an IMAP folder that everyone could access, but two problems forced us to stop using it: 1) Anyone could delete (or purge) any or all emails by mistake, and 2) large attachments brought everyones Outlook to a crawl- and we get ALOT of large attachments.
- A power user suggested that this could be remedied by limiting full downloads with attachments to a file size limit. Then any larger files could be downloaded as needed by the individual- can this be managed in an IMAP server somehow. Is this functionality even in IMAP? to put it another way, is there a way to give users just read and send access to IMAP but not "full control"?
- Administrator could create Outlook rules for all incoming messages to file all incoming messages per manufacturer.
I take it that what we need is an Exchange server that will simply allow us to read each others mailboxes (even to share a common one) but we are just not about to get that approved.