I'm running SharePoint 2010 Server SP1 June 2011 CU and this CU broke the user profile picture upload function so I decided to install the Feb 2012 CU to fix the issue.
I realize i had to restart the User Profile Synchronization service as part of the installation but didn't realize it required entering in the farm admin (spfarm) credentials which my predecessor did not document. I was forced to change the password and this is when my problems started.
1. I changed spfarm PW through AD
2. Manually updated all app pool with new password
3. Manually updated all SharePoint services which used this account with the new password
4. Attempted to restart the UPS in central admin only to find it stuck at "Starting"
5. Rebooted serveral times, didn't work.
6. Restarted SP timer service, didn't work.
7. At this point I realized there's 2 other Windows services that uses spfarm:
- Forefront Identity Manager Service
- Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service
8. Changed the password and tried to start them. The first service started *but* second one times out and refuses to start. (I will post event ID and actual error message later).
9. Within Central Admin > Security > Manage Service Account and changed spfarm password again to a new one.
10. Got an error about an existing job already running by the same name so I was forced to delete it using powershell and finally the password change went through. But as far as I can tell it doesn't fix the issue at hand.
I realize now UPS depends on this FIM service and that Microsoft does not recommend manually starting and/or modifying these 2 FIM services from within services.msc.
I'm really stuck here and need urgent assistance.