Dell Dimension XPS. Windows XP Home Edition.
1. Windows XP will not boot from the HDD on which it was installed (It worked before, but not now)
2. I have installed a second HDD with Windows XP already installed and have booted from this.
3. I have also installed a blank, formatted HDD to which I hope to transfer the Operating System from the corrupted HDD.
4. In the Setup screen the three HDD's show up as follows: The working HDD is Primary IDE Master; the blank formatted HDD is Primary IDE Slave; The corrupted HDD is the Secondary IDE Master.
5. I think I should be able to effect the transfer since the corrupted HDD shows up in the My Computer window, with all its files apparently intact.
6. I am using the program DriveImage XML.
7. I am using the Drive to Drive option - I notice that corrupted HDD is type FAT32, while the other two HDD's are NTFS type.
8. I have run this program (selecting the 'Try Volume Locking first' option). It seems to run properly, but in fact the target HDD shows up as Empty after the 'Finished' . No transfer has taken place.