Hello Experts, requesting for your critique of our high-level Exchange 2010 SP2 and UR1 deployment procedure. We have tailored our deployment plan based on existing internet resources and will be happy to receive comments from you regarding anything that we may have missed. We are currently running on Exchange 2010 SP1 Enterprise and are planning to upgrade to SP2. We have three (3) AD sites and only two (2) of these have existing Exchange deployments, as follows:
a. 2 x CAS/Hub (combined in one for each server) in NLB, EXCH01HUB01 and EXCH01HUB02
b. 2 x Mailbox in DAG-01, EXCH01MBX01 and EXCH01MBX03 with active database copies spread among the two.
c. 1 x Mailbox in DAG-02; EXCH01MBX02
d. 2 x Edge EXCH01EDGE01 and EXCH01EDGE02
a. 2 x CAS/Hub (combined in one for each server) in NLB, EXCH03HUB01 and EXCH03HUB02
b. 2 x Mailbox in DAG-02, EXCH03MBX02 and EXCH03MBX04 with active database copies spread among the two.
c. 1 x Mailbox in DAG-01; EXCH03MBX01
d. 2 x Edge EXCH03EDGE01 and EXCH03EDGE02
1. Install IIS 6 WMI Compatibility component on EXCH01HUB01.
2. Issue stop command on EXCH01HUB01 node using NLB manager.
3. Set the initial host state of EXCH01HUB01 as stopped.
4. Apply Exchange 2010 SP2 and Exchange 2010 Update Rollup 1 on EXCH01HUB01. Restart server once complete.
5. Start the server in the NLB cluster.
6. Set the initial host state to Started.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for EXCH01HUB02, EXCH03HUB01, EXCH03HUB02
Edge Transport Servers
8. Install Exchange 2010 SP2 and UR1 on EXCH01EDGE01. Restart server once complete.
9. Repeat on EXCH01EDGE02, EXCH03EDGE01 and EXCHEDGE02.
10. Move all active mailbox database copies from EXCH01MBX01 to EXCH01MBX02
11. Run StartDagServerMainternance.ps1 script (.\StartDagServerMaintenance.ps1 –servername EXCH01MBX01)
12. Apply Exchange 2010 SP2 and Exchange 2010 Update Rollup 1 on EXCH01MBX01. Restart server once complete.
13. Run Exchange powershell StopDagServerMaintenance.ps1 script. (.\StopDagServerMaintenance.ps1 –serverName EXCH01MBX01)
14. Repeat step 10-13 for EXCH01MBX02.
15. Balance active mailbox databases by executing the RedistributeActiveDatabases.ps1 script.
16. Repeat steps 10-15 for EXCH03MBX02 and EXCH03MBX04.
Also, will there be any problem if we do not immediately upgrade all servers in one sitting?
Thanks in advance and cheers!