Can I search on fields other than NAME on the Salesforce.com iPhone App?
Posted on 2012-03-25
I'm working an implementation for a customer that is very interested in rolling out the Salesforce.com Mobile App for iPhone, but has significant concerns regarding some apparent limitations in the search functionality on that device.
It seems that when using the standard search functionality available for searching through a related list of custom objects linked to a record the only field that is searched is the "NAME" field for the record (This is a standard field created by the Salesforce.com API in all custom objects. It usually contains either a record name or serializing auto-number of some kind).
The concern here is that the NAME field of many of our custom objects contains an autonumber value which is entirely useless to a human being trying to find what they're looking for, and that it's part of a managed package, so we can't change the nature of the data in this field.
Does anyone know if it's possible to work around this limitation?
1. Is there a setting somewhere that can be changed to enable a more robust iPhone App based search?
2. We have development resources available if a solution is possible, Is there some way to develop Apex, Web Services, or other code that could help us solve this problem? Any hints about the direction to pursue would be very helpful.
3. Are there other types of fields that the iPhone App Search will consider? Perhaps we can use formulas or some other work around to circumvent this apparent limitation?
4. Is there documentation anywhere that we can use to try to find answers to detailed questions of this nature on our own?
5. If there's absolutely nothing that we can do, it would be very useful to know that as well, since we have other mobile options available (browser, our own iPad app, etc.). We just need a clear answer on whether or not this issue can be addressed.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help!