Advanced PC troubleshooting - PC HDD led stays on for 10 mins solid, boot up crawling.
Posted on 2012-03-25
User reported a PC that takes 20 mins to boot up and start Outlook, Bloomberg and IE8.
When the PC is past bootup (e.g. 20 mins after boot up), the performance is fine i.e. HDD LED blinks only when there is activity, open/close Outlook, Word, Excel, IE8 are all within 1 sec.
When PC is rebooted, the HDD led comes on solid (not flashing/blinking) after Windows logo is displayed. The HDD LED stays solid on for 10 full mins and the Windows startup is superslow. It takes a full 20mins for user to start Outlook, IE8, Bloomberg whereas it takes less than 5mins for any other PC to bootup and start the same apps.
Here are the details:
Dell Presicion T3400,
Win XP Pro x64 SP3
Intel Pentium Core2 Duo 2.33GHz,
4GB ECC DDR2 667MHz RAM,
80GB SATA2 7.2k rpm HDD
2 x Nvidia FX 570
Symantec Antivirus v11
Here are the diagnostics already done:
1. HDD full chkdsk and surface scan - all OK
2. Windows XP system file check - sfc /scannow
3. MS Office 2003 detect and repair - all ok
4. Dell Boot up PC motherboard, RAM, HDD HW diag - all OK
5. SMART HDD reporting - HDD all ok.
6. Symantec antivirus full scan - nothing
7. MSconfig disable unnecessary startup - startup stripped down to bare essentials (no Java/acrobat updater etc).
8. No antivirus startup scan is scheduled.
Any suggestions? Thanks.