hi guys,. hope you are well.
a long and complicated story.
i have attached a network map document to help you see whats going on.
i have a customer who is an accountant. she has sage accounts 2010, 2011, 2012, accounts production and payroll installed on a laptop which we will call A.
she has been using data locally for a long time with some issues, but not many. she has now employed 2 people. i have set up a "server", which we will call B. the server is win 7 64 bit home premium, 8 gb ram, 120gb Solid state disk, dual core intel G620. it also has sage accounts software on it, accounts 2011 and 2012.
there is another pc on the network, an old win xp pro SP3 box, which we will call C.
security is by trend micro wfbs 3.7. i have set up all sage's suggestions for behaviour monitoring and AV, let the LAN be completely trusted bi directionally for all ports. i have then disabled behaviour monitioring and AV. i have also removed it completely, all to no avail, same issues persist.
backup is by carbonite, which is present on all 3 machines. i have scheduled this so it is paused during working hours. i have also tried removing carbonite, to no avail.
i have disabled SMB 3 and 2 on both win 7 machines, no difference.
i have set up a mapped drive to the server from the clients, turning off the "autodisconnect" parameter and applied the "persistent" flag. i dont have any issues with reading or writing to the mapped drives. the data directory on the server is in the public documents folder.
i have tried moving the data to another folder, explicitly sharing it, moving the shared data folder to a different pc, moving the data to a sata disk on the server instead of the ssd.
i have also tried using unc paths instead of using the mapped drives.
i have set up reserved dhcp addresses on the router (a netgear wnr845t gigabit), upgraded the entire network to gigabit, set up hosts files on every machine. (see the network map for more details.). i have also tried putting A directly onto the cisco switch, and also putting the server on the netgear router, all to no difference.
the problem is that A cannot back up to the server, using sage accounts 2011 or 2012. it fails on an xml file located in one of the vat return folders. the exact file that it fails on differs, but it is always in that folder.
if you delete the contents of that folder on the server, it can back up. i have left sage to look at this. it has been nearly 2 weeks now and they dont have an answer.
the XP box (C) has never had a problem with anything, (accessing, backing up) throughout all of this, nor has the server had a problem running or backing up (although of course the sage install on the server is only doing local stuff.)
i have even built a brand new win 7 64-bit pc, completely clean, nothing on it except accounts 2012. then i put 2011 on it as well, then it started having the same problem. i installed to a completely new folder for each install.
however, last week, my customer applied an update to the Payroll (not accounts) software on A, which had a new pdf writer in it.
all of a sudden, accounts 2012 and 2011 work fine. everything works and has been fine for a week.
today, A has failed again, and cannot backup.
im at a complete loss - i really dont know what to do.