When logging in as domain administrator on windows XP PC's on the domain I am no longer able to launch internet browsers (IE7 or 8 or Firefox). Sometimes i'm getting a Runtime error C++ problem othertimes IE simply wont launch, no errors in event log. To make it more interesting it I can get IE to launch intermittently just by logging on/off a few times but problem then comes back.
1. Problem with all PC's not just some.
2. Used to work OK, can't define when it stopped working.
3. We have recently moved to a mixed 2003/2008 domain (could be this?)
4. Works OK with Windows 7 PC's
5. Have tried installing latest C++ redistributables
6. Works OK with non-admin accounts
7. No AD group policies have been created to curtail the Admin account.
I've possibly tracked it down to the fact that a default user profile is being applied to the administrator login. Where do I amend the default profile applied by Active Directory?
Any other suggestions as to why this has started to happen?