InfoPath Client Form Link to New Form does not work for SharePoint 2010

We have a SharePoint 2007 Environment and are using InfoPath 2010. When I publish a form in the Infopath 2010 format, users cannot open the form via a link (http://mysite/sites/formlibrary/myform.xsn). They recieve an error and the form does not open. In order to get this to work, I we have to use the InfoPath 2007 format.  We are now upgrading to SharePoint 2010 and now all links we have to our InfoPath 2007 forms are not working - presumably because they are in the InfoPath 2007 format. Is there a workaround, or do we have to change all the 2007 forms to 2010 forms (which I loath to do, since that involves recreating the data connections). thanks so much!
LVL 7
janicet123Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Clay FoxDirector of Business IntegrationCommented:
2010 is backward compatible with 2007 version templates.

I would guess it is more likely that the URL to your template locations in Mysites changed when you upgraded.

One test is publish to a file share a form and then test opening it etc.  To prove that 2010 is backward compatible. then I would look at the links you are using in your forms and verify them by going to them manually and see if they really still work as written.
0
janicet123Author Commented:
The issue is that if the link to the xsn is published to a links list (or email, or in a CEWP), I recieve a pop up that the form cannot be edited in the browser because it is not browser compatible. It is as if that link is forcing the form to open in the browser. No locations have changed - this happens even if the link is configured in a 2010 environment. This even happens when the library is configured to force forms to open in the client application. Your thoughts are appreciated. :)
0
Clay FoxDirector of Business IntegrationCommented:
Hey Janice, did not notice it was you at first.

ok, so it is defaulting to the browser rather than the client in SP2010.

It may be due to that you are opening it from a link in a list but not sure.  The default behavior is supposed to be to open in the client not the browser.  Make sure InfoPath filler is the default program for opening xsn files.

Here is some more discussion on how to force it.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/sharepointinfopath/thread/27CEADA2-A320-4D43-9424-0500BC1AAF8F
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
janicet123Author Commented:
Hi Clay! Nice to hear from you - thanks for remembering me!

In our environment, because of permissions, we frequently publish a form template to a document library (using Publish to Network drive option) that everyone has permissions to and then also to a form library where we can use an email submit option. This way, responses can be kept confidential. We usually send out the link to the template via email. The problem is that this link wants to open up in a browser, even when the form is not browser compatible. This works fine in 2007, but in our 2010 test environment it fails.

The "force" you sent me seems like it could work, but can you help me clarify the syntax? I tried a couple ways but could not get it to work.

The syntax in the post was:

http://{YOUR-SERVER}/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=YOURFORM.xml&Source={FORMSOURCE}&DefaultItemOpen=0

Does this mean that if my link to the xsn is http://JanicesSite/JanicesLibrary/JanicesForm.xsn, the previous syntax should be modified as follows:

 http://JanicesSite/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=JanicesForm.xml&Sourcehttp://JanicesSite/JanicesLibrary/JanicesForm.xsn&DefaultItemOpen=0

I got an error indicating that it did not like the reletive URL, but maybe I did something wrong?

Thanks for your help with this!
0
janicet123Author Commented:
Thanks Clay - we found that the issue is due to IE9. Apparently the User-Agent string changed with IE9. InfoPath forms that are designed to open in the InfoPath client (instead of opening in the web browser) are dependent on the IE8 User-Agent string behavior.  Because a number of other apps are depending on the IE8 behavior, IE9 prevents such apps from breaking by shipping with Display intranet sites in Compatibility View enabled. I am sure your workaround would have worked, if I had the technical expertise to configure it. :) Thanks for your help!
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
InfoPath

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.