VLan Routing on Dell PowerConnect 6224 switch
Posted on 2012-03-28
I have a Dell Powerconnect 6224. I'm having trouble being able to route between vlans. These are the instructions from Dell. Seems pretty simple:
Using the Web Interface to Configure VLAN Routing Use the following screens to perform the same configuration using the Web Interface:
• Switching > VLAN > VLAN Membership. To create the VLANs and specify port participation.
• Switching > VLAN > Port Settings. To set the PVID and VLAN type.
• Routing > VLAN Routing > Configuration. To enable routing on Vlans.
• Routing > IP > Configuration. To enable routing for the switch.
• Routing > IP > Interface Configuration. To configure VLAN IP addresses and subnet masks.
So i've create vlan 2 and vlan 3 and selected port 2 and port 3 respectively as untagged.
In port settings i've made the ports members of the respective PVID and left the Port VLan Mode as "Access."
I believe i've followed the rest of the steps, but the menus don't exactly match up with their instructions.
Routing Mode is enabled under Routing - Configuration.
Under Routing - IP - Interface Configuration, I have given each VLan an interface ip like 192.168.65.1 / 255.255.255.0 and enabled Routing Mode.
Shouldn't this be all I need to do, for computers plugged into the vlan ports to be able to ping each other, and the other vlan interface as well?
Do I need to create routes on the switch? What should the IP configuration be on these computers on the VLans? Do I specify the switch as the gateway?
Thanks for any help.