Dynamics GP not opening Word Templates - Citrix Metaframe
Posted on 2012-03-28
This is an issue I have been trying to solve for a while.
1. I am using Citrix Metaframe 4.0.1 (old version I know)
2. I am using Microsoft Word 2007 SP2
3. I am using Dynamics GP 2010 R2
4. This is all running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
Here is a rundown:
I have a project to have our users print POs using the Word Templates feature integrated into GP 2010 R2. I have assigned several Word templates to the POP Blank Form Modified report and begun testing.
When I tell GP to print a PO, by default I am presented with the template option and choose to print to screen. At this point, it appears to process the template but then Word does not open showing the PO on the screen.
In my temp folder, I see that the Word document has been created and I can then open in manually to see the template. This is an issue because I don't want our users to have to browse to the temp folder to open their POs.
I have done tons of troubleshooting both by myself and with Microsoft support and I am going to try to include it all here.
1. I have tried using the Citrix Program Neighborhood as well as a direct RDP connection to the server to print the templates and the same issue happens.
2. I can use the GP Template Configuration to modify the templates and Word will open up when I do that. It will just not open when I go to render the template using a PO.
3. Microsoft sent me a tool called testsaveas.exe that has me enter a docx file into a field and then I click a button to open the file. The file is supposed to open in Word when I click this button but it does not. So this seems to eliminate GP as the issue as it is not involved in this test at all.
4. They instructed me to use the same tool with a PDF or TXT file and the same issue happens. The files never open up in Acrobat or Notepad. This seems to eliminate Word as the issue as well.
5. At this point Microsoft is suggesting that Citrix is the cause as they have pretty much eliminated any of their software as the cause. I have googled this issue and have found at least 1 other user that has had this exact problem but there is no solution. Microsoft even acknowledges that they have had another call with the same issue but the user ended the support before it was resolved.
I will try to provide any other requested information as I really would like to get this resolved. Thanks for any help you can provide.