Exchange OAB expected response

I have a client that is running SBS 2008, they weren't using Exchange but the services were running and it seemed like some configuration had been done on it.   I setup the exchange server and got everything working except outlook would hang and eventually time out saying "the operation failed: an object could not be found"  I looked up the error code and it suggested they were having problems downloading OAB.  After much troubleshooting and trying various things, i have done the following setup:

rebuilt the OAB
changed url so it resolves to server correctly
set permissions to allow authenticated users on oab.xml
there was a web.config file created, changed permissions for read access to authenticated users

now, on the server,if i go to https://localhost/oab/<oabcode>/oab.xml  it loads the xml file fine

but if I browse to https://domainnamegoeshere.net/oab/<oabcode>/oab.xml  I am prompted with an authentication window, which does not accept my credentials, or any domain users, and after three tries returns a "401.1 - unauthorized" error

is this the expected response? os is my permissions for this web directory messed up?

thanks,

- Kalen
gtmcAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
The OAB is located using Autodiscover.  Is ther a 3rd party SSL certificate installed (SAN / UCC - multi name) with the following names included:

remote.externaldomainname.com (or whatever you chose to use)
autodiscover.externaldomainname.com
servername.internaldomainname.local
servername
sites

Is there also an Autodiscover A record created externally in DNS that resolves to the IP address of your SBS server (public IP address not internal IP address)?
0
gtmcAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the response

I would like to know what the expected response for browsing to that URL is?? and if it is to prompt for credentials, should a mailbox users credentials work????
















My SAN cert contains:
mail.externaldomainname.com
autodiscover.externaldomainname.com
sites

I have created all A records and added DNS entries on the server, to use external names, on internal network. i.e. browsing to autodiscover.externaldomainname.com internally resolves the exchange server correctly.

I used https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com to verify and all tests pass.

this problem is only on the internal network
0
gtmcAuthor Commented:
for anyone needing to know the expected response is to be prompted for credentials.  

In my case i could not get any credentials to work when browsing on the server.  But once i was at a workstation, browsing to the oab url prompted for credentials, autofilled the username, and i used the password for that user and it loaded the oab.xml.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
gtmcAuthor Commented:
My question was not answered.  Once i configured the settings correctly I was able to verify what the answer to my question.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.