Solved

Incoming messages stuck after cert expiration

Posted on 2012-03-29
1
626 Views
Last Modified: 2012-03-30
Exchange 2007 on Server 2003
I have two servers in this environment. One has Edge and one has all the other things.
All internal email is fine coming & going. We can send mail externally successfully but any mail received from an external address gets stuck in the queue.

Earlier this week a certificate expired that caused everyone's Outlook to continuously yell at them via security pop-ups. I took care of that by creating a new certificate. The servers have been fine for the past year, until this first certificate expiration issue. The more I look at this, the more I think I messed up the certificates.

Today it was discovered that external emails are stuck in the queue on the Edge Server. I tried a few different things and the last attempt was following the steps here: http://blog.meigh.eu/2010/06/04/how-to-resubscribe-your-exchange-2007-edgetransport-server.aspx

When I do Start-EdgeSynchronization on the HUB server, I get CouldNotConnect because The LDAP server is unavailable.

I have almost 200 incoming messages stuck in the queue that I really don't want to lose. I need help to sync up everything again.

EDIT:
I want to add that I just tried Get-TransportServer <Server Name> | Format-List Name,InternalTransportCertificateThumbprint
on HUB it resolved fine but on Edge it came back with an error:
The operation could not be performed because object '[exch-server]' could not be found on domain controller 'localhost'.

I also tried the Exchange Troubleshooting Assistant and during the test for Problems with Edge Synchronization I got the following error: No EdgeSync credentials were found for Edge transport server edge.test.local on the local Hub Transport server. Remove the Edge subscription and re-subscribe the Edge Transport server.

So maybe I have faulty certificates causing the problem?
0
Comment
Question by:MikeTheRed6
1 Comment
 

Accepted Solution

by:
MikeTheRed6 earned 0 total points
ID: 37784710
Problem's fixed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737608(v=ws.10).aspx

I restarted ADAM and the Transport server and messages started going through. It seems that some of the emails were lost but I'm hoping most of the important ones in the queue made it through.
0

Featured Post

NAS Cloud Backup Strategies

This article explains backup scenarios when using network storage. We review the so-called “3-2-1 strategy” and summarize the methods you can use to send NAS data to the cloud

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Lotus Notes – formerly IBM Notes – is an email client application, while IBM Domino (earlier Lotus Domino) is an email server. The client possesses a set of features that are even more advanced as compared to that of Outlook. Likewise, IBM Domino is…
Utilizing an array to gracefully append to a list of EmailAddresses
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…

808 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question