two W-7 pc's won't share a printer. Why?
Posted on 2012-04-02
I've got two brandnew computers. Both Windows 7. I have two HP Laserjet printers, one is the model 3030 and the other 3050. If I connect the printer locally, Windows finds the printer and it functions. But when I share the printer and I want to access the printer from the other PC, it does not function. Here is what I did in detail:
- attach the printer with an USB-cable to pc1, share the printer with laserjet3030 (or 3050) as share name.
- open explorer on pc2, check the network and yes, the printer is visible.
- "add printer" on pc2, choose "local", choose "local port", fill in the UNC path : \\pc1\laserjet3030
- select the correct printer brand and model to install the driver
- everything is looking good, the printer looks installed, I print a test page.
- I see the test page appearing in the print queue and ....
- and it stays there. Bugger.
For some reason my shared printer won't print.
Anybody a clue? Do I need to change some setting in de firewall of pc1?