Strange issues after shutting down troubled Exch 2k3 box
Posted on 2012-04-03
In response to some hardware stability issues, we've shutdown an Exchange 2003 box. Prior to the shutdown, we moved all of the users located on that server to a newly stood up identical server in the same site. The new server was transfered to be the primary bridgehead in the routing group, etc. Everything was actually pretty smooth.
The plan in shutting everything down, was to keep the server "commissioned" for a bit before we uninstall Exchange completely from it. - So, we shut the server down, and started monitoring everything to be 100% certain that removing that server from our Org wouldn't do any real harm.
- And that's when we started noticing some of "strangeness".
1. On the new server, there's a queue building for items destined to the old server. Messages in this queue appear to be public folder updates, I'd imagine that this will go away once the server has been "cleanly uninstalled" from the Exchange org. Is this the case?
2. There are now a few "mail enabled" public folders that no longer receive E-mail. Users have been receiving "Delayed" failures when they attempt to send a message to the address that previously used to work with the old server turned on.
Would anybody happen to have any hints on whether or not these issues would be resolved by a clean uninstall on the old box. One thing I am a bit worried on, is that there have been many changes to the public folder replication points / routing group connectors / etc since we shut down the original server about two weeks ago. It shouldn't be a problem, as I'd image that it's initial replication would fix this - but the messages in the queue destined for that server have already started expiring... It could be fun.