Still celebrating National IT Professionals Day with 3 months of free Premium Membership. Use Code ITDAY17

x
?
Solved

Searching via OWA or Outlook Online Mode Fails

Posted on 2012-04-04
2
Medium Priority
?
1,312 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-14
Environment:
•      Server 2008 R2 SP1
•      Exchange 2010 SP1 Rollup v5 – Server has all roles.  I have never removed any of these roles.

Issue:
I am unable to search either via Outlook Web Access or Outlook Online Mode.  The search attempts but yields no results.  I am not running in Cached mode nor do I want to do so to resolve this.

Steps taken so far:
1.      Ran the script .\ResetSearchIndex.ps1 –force –all
2.      Manually deleted the Exchange search cache.
3.      Ran the script .\ResetSearchIndex.ps1 then .\ResetSearchIndex.ps1 –force –all
1.      I made sure that event id 109 shows after the crawl restart but I never see id 110 (to show that the crawl was finished).
4.      Rebooted several times.
5.     No useful information in eventvwr to show any errors or problems.

Other information:
Search was working normally since the server came online at the end of 2010.  I did have some problems with it two weeks ago and I ran the Step 1 above and it fixed the issue.  However, recently search is entirely broken and will not run even with the above steps.  No recent Windows updates or other changes made recently.
0
Comment
Question by:IQ_IT
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
2 Comments
 

Author Comment

by:IQ_IT
ID: 37807328
Two other notes:
1.  When I check the Catalog files and compare to backups, it looks like the newly created catalog files are not growing in size and are at the size when they were created.  The backup cat files are like 70GB and the new ones sit at 129KB.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
IQ_IT earned 0 total points
ID: 37816341
This is the first time on EE that I didn't even get a single reply in two days...

Anyway, I solved the issue on my own.  This question should be kept to show others what might be neccessary to do in order to fix it:

-  Removed RUS entries via ADSIEDIT.
-  Increased APP EVENTLOGS from 20MB to 40MB.
-  Deleted local .dat files.
-  Ran and re-ran the resetsearchindex script, compared exchange backups to current catalog file and noted that the new files are getting deleted/recreated but they are not growing.  Exchange showing that the mailbox DB is indexed and is crawling but never finishes crawling.
-  Dismounted, ran reindex, remounted mailbox store.
-  Copied over backup indexes which resolved older searches but not newer.
-  Ran the script:  [PS] C:\program files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>.\Troubleshoot-CI.ps1 -Action DetectAndResolve -Symptom all -database "mailbox database 2079651186"
-  Ran "\MSExchange Database ==> Instances($database)\I/O Database Reads Average Latency"
-  "\MSExchange Database ==> Instances($database)\I/O Database Reads/sec"
-  "\MSExchange Database ==> Instances($database)\I/O Database Writes Average Latency"
-  "\MSExchange Database ==> Instances($database)\I/O Database Writes/sec
^ results are "average"
-  .\Troubleshoot-DatabaseSpace.ps1 -MailboxDatabaseName "mailbox database 2079651186"
^ = not logged, no information.
-  http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/01/18/3411844.aspx
-  Created a new mailbox DB, migrated my mailbox and so far no positive results, performance counters still showing 0 for fullcrawl.
-  Ran .\ResetsSearchIndex.pst -force mbdb
-  Events 109 and 110 showed for MBDB but search is not working at all.
-  Reregistered MapiProtocolHandlerStub.dll and msfte.dll, restarted Search and indexer.
-  Set-MailboxDatabase "MBDB" -IndexEnabled $false and then Set-MailboxDatabase "MBDB" -IndexEnabled $true + restarted search+indexer.
-  Mailbox in MBDB shows event ID 110 and is also searching normally!
-  Mailbox in  "mailbox database 2079651186" USER = test successful for a recent file.
-  Indexes are building!  Search is working but will need to build.

I think the actual solution in my case was probably re-registering the .dlls but it could have been flagging the DBs for non-crawl then re flagging them as well.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A couple of months ago we ran into an issue that necessitated re-creating our Edge Subscriptions. However, when we attempted to execute the command: New-EdgeSubscription -filename C:\NewEdgeSub_01.xml we received an error indicating that the LDAP se…
Know the reasons and solutions to move/import EDB to New Exchange Server. Also, find out how to recover an Exchange .edb file and to restore the file back.
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…

704 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question